I did not receive my benefits for the month of June I’m updated and they keep giving me the run around.

Q) I did not receive my benefits for the month of June I’m updated and they keep giving me the run around. I have a small child had to borrow money to put food in my hours was told they would be on there or the system was slow, still nothing need help

A) I’m sorry to hear that you haven’t received your benefits for the month of June and are experiencing difficulties when you try to follow up with the relevant authorities. You should contact the SNAP office in your area to try and resolve this issue. You can find the contact information for your local office by visiting the USDA’s website or calling the National Hunger Hotline at 1-866-3-HUNGRY (1-866-348-6479).

When you speak with the SNAP office, be sure to provide your case number and explain the situation to them. They should be able to help you determine why your benefits have been delayed and work to resolve the issue. If you continue to experience difficulties, you can also contact your local Legal Aid office or an advocate to seek assistance with your case.

You may need to re-certify for you SNAP (Food stamp) benefits. After a certain period of time, you will have to recertify your SNAP benefits. That is, you will need to provide your DTA caseworker with any relevant updated information.

Once you are approved for SNAP/food stamps your case will be “active” for a certain period of time. This is called your “certification period.” You will have to recertify periodically to continue receiving SNAP. http://www.gettingfoodstamps.org/recertification.html

Certification periods can range from monthly to every two years. Most households that have regular earned income are on a twelve-month recertification period (semi-annual reporting).

Your caseworker will let you know how long your certification period is and when you will need to recertify. It is very important to let your caseworker know if you move to a new address so he or she can send the recertification paperwork to you on time.

Approximately 45 days before the end of your certification period, your Department of Transitional Assistance (DTA) caseworker will send you a recertification form that you will need to complete and send back. This form will reflect the information that DTA has about you. You must review the form, update any information that has changed, and fill in any blank sections. You will need to send this form, along with the proofs requested at the bottom of each page back to your DTA caseworker before the due date specified on the accompanying letter.
If there have been no changes since the time of your initial SNAP application or since your previous recertification, you might not need to give the DTA additional verification documents. However, you will still need to complete the recertification form and turn it in.

A recertification interview is required, but it can be conducted over the phone.

If you do not contact your DTA caseworker to set up an interview or do not submit the recertification form by the release date specified on the letter, your SNAP case will be closed automatically on that release date. For some senior/disabled households, the interview may be waived.

For questions or help with the recertification process in Massachusetts, call Project Bread’s FoodSource Hotline at 1-800-645-8333.

*SNAP regulations vary by state. If you do not live in Massachusetts, call the USDA at 1-800-221-5689 or visit their website, http://www.fns.usda.gov/snap/state-informationhotline-numbers, to find a contact in your state

Add a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *