Find your local Food Stamp (SNAP) - Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program Office here! Not a government website.

I moved and my husband lost his job. I have 5 teenagers in the home; how do i update my application to receive more food stamps?

Q) I moved and my husband lost his job. I have 5 teenagers in the home; how do i update my application to receive more food stamps?

A) Please call or visit your local food stamp benefits and inform them about the change in your finances due to your husband losing his job. You may be eligible for more food stamp benefits.

Do I Qualify for Food Stamps?
How many people are in your household? To be eligible for SNAP, first figure out the total number of people in your household — the total household income must be below a certain number based on the number of people in the household.
What are your resources? According to the U.S. Department of Agriculture, households may have $2,250 in countable resources or assets — that can include a bank account, but does not include benefits from SSI, TANF or any pension plans. Households may also have $3,500 in countable resources if at least one person is over the age of 60 or is disabled.
What is your gross monthly income? The maximum gross monthly income is 130 percent of the federal poverty level, and the maximum net monthly income is 100 percent of the federal poverty level. For instance, if your household only consists of one person, then the gross monthly income to be eligible for SNAP is $1,287 (net $990). For two people, gross is $1,726, net is $1,335. The net income is determined by subtracting all acceptable deductions from your gross income.
What does your employment look like? There are employment requirements, which include not intentionally leaving a job or reducing hours to qualify. They do not apply to everyone, and each state can use these as guidelines.
Are you unemployed? You must be registered to work, and you must also take a job if offered. Depending on the state, you might also be asked to participate in state-run employment and training programs.
Are you unemployed and considered an “Able-Bodied Adults without Dependents (ABAWDs)? If so, you are limited to three months of benefits over the course of 36 months unless it’s proved that you are working or participating in education or training activities at least 80 hours per month, or participating in a workforce program.
Are you elderly, disabled, pregnant or under the age of 18? If so, you might be the exception to employment requirements.
Are you a non-citizen? Non-citizens can apply for SNAP benefits if they are lawfully admitted for permanent residence, asylees, parolees, deportation withhold status, conditional entrants, Cuban or Haitian entrants, battered non-citizens, refugees, trafficking victims, Iraqi or Afghan special immigrants, Hmong or Highland Laotian tribal members, or certain American Indians born abroad. Source:

Leave a reply

Applying for Food Stamp or SNAP benefits

To apply for Food Stamp or SNAP benefits contact your local (SNAP) food stamp office office. Each State program has their own application form. If your State’s form is not on the web yet, you may need to contact your local food stamp office to request one.

236 Responses to Tell Us Your Experience At Your Local Food Stamp Office

  1. I have been receiving food stamps for a while now but this month I have not. I tried calling all the numbers but I can’t get through. Very upsetting and I am hungry! I went online and no results. Scheduled a call back but no one called.

Leave a reply

State Food Stamp Office Locations

Alabama Alaska Arizona Arkansas California Colorado Connecticut Delaware Florida Georgia Hawaii Idaho Illinois Indiana Iowa Kansas Kentucky Louisiana Maine Maryland Massachusetts Michigan Minnesota Mississippi Missouri Montana Nebraska Nevada New Hampshire New Jersey New Mexico New York North Carolina North Dakota Ohio Oklahoma Oregon Pennsylvania Rhode Island South Carolina South Dakota Tennessee Texas Utah Vermont Virginia Washington West Virginia Wisconsin Wyoming