I’m a male, 68 yrs old single and I only received 23 dollars a month in food stamp. I don’t work because I fell off a building and broke both feet in 2014. how can I get more money on my ebt card? I live in Oregon Coosbay.

A) The amount of food stamps you receive is based on your income and expenses. If you are only receiving $23 per month, it is likely that your income may not be accurately stated or your income is higher than normal for average food stamp recipients. There are a few things you can do to increase your food stamp benefits:

  • Update your income information. If your income has changed since you last applied for food stamps, make sure to update your information with the Oregon Department of Human Services (ODHS). You can do this online, by mail, or by calling the ODHS food stamp hotline.
  • Apply for other benefits. There are a number of other benefits that you may be eligible for, such as Medicaid, Supplemental Security Income (SSI), or veterans benefits. These benefits can help to increase your income and make you eligible for more food stamps.
  • Work with a caseworker. If you are having trouble getting approved for food stamps or if you think you should be receiving more benefits, you can work with a caseworker at the ODHS. They can help you to understand the eligibility requirements and to appeal a denial of benefits.

In addition to these steps, there are a few other things you can do to stretch your food budget:

  • Shop at discount grocery stores. There are a number of discount grocery stores in Coos Bay that offer lower prices on food.
  • Use coupons and food stamps together. You can use coupons to save money on food, even if you are using food stamps.
  • Cook at home more often. Eating out can be expensive, so cooking at home is a great way to save money.
  • Grow your own food. If you have the space, you can grow your own food in a garden. This is a great way to save money on fresh fruits and vegetables.

Again there are a few steps you can take to potentially increase the amount of money on your EBT card:

  1. Contact your local Department of Human Services (DHS): Reach out to the Oregon Department of Human Services or visit their local office in Coos Bay. They handle the administration of the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) in your area. Explain your circumstances and inquire about the possibility of increasing your benefits. They can provide you with more information and guide you through the process.
  2. Apply for additional benefits: You may be eligible for other forms of assistance, such as Medicaid or Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF). These programs provide support beyond food assistance and can help alleviate financial burdens. Contact your local DHS office to inquire about these programs and determine if you qualify.
  3. Seek legal aid or advocacy: If you face challenges navigating the system or believe that your benefits have been incorrectly determined, you may want to consider seeking legal aid or assistance from an advocate. They can help you understand your rights and assist in ensuring you receive the appropriate level of support.

Remember, eligibility for benefits is determined based on various factors, including income, assets, and living situation. Providing accurate and up-to-date information about your circumstances is crucial when applying for assistance.

Add a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *